I believe by now, if for nothing at all, you are fairly convinced of the importance of exercising. If you are still in doubt, here is a quick and comprehensive review…
You can also find more detailed importance and benefits of exercises from my earlier posts..“21 Astounding Reasons why you should exercise; Apart from ‘Weight Loss’.”
Many people want to exercise, but just cannot afford to go to the gym; well for those people, you’ll be glad to know that there are lots of exercises you can do without going to the gym. I’ll be taking them one by one and outlining their benefits.
The first on the list is SQUATS..
Although squats are often regarded as “leg” exercises, they actually offer benefits throughout your entire body..
- You can do squat exercises anywhere and you don’t need any accessories or equipment; You don’t need a gym or any equipment, so this extremely effective exercise can be done pretty much anywhere. You can do squats in the privacy of your own home.
- Squat exercises improve your circulation; The stretching of muscles that happen when you squat gets blood pumping throughout your body and tends to improve your overall health. This is because when blood circulation is improved in the body, all your vital organs and muscles get more nutrients.
- Squat Exercises Burn Fat; In addition to toning muscles, squats burn calories too (you can literally feel it!). So squats is a great way to workout for health and weight loss. In actual fact, to burn more calories, it is time-efficient to gain more muscle. So for instance, for every pound of additional muscle you gain, your body will burn an additional 50-70 calories per day. So lets say you gain 10 pounds, you inadvertently burn 500-700 more calories.
- Squat Exercises tone your whole leg; One of the most important benefits of doing squats is that, it tones your whole leg, unlike some equipment in the gym that targets only specific muscles.When you squat, you’re using every single muscle in your leg.
- Squat exercises aid in digestion; Oh Yes! Doing squats help you remove waste from the body. The actions of the muscles during the exercise improves the flow of fluids in the body and makes it easier for you to pass waste through your bowels.
- Squats prevent injuries; Squats strengthen a number of muscles in the lower body, hips and lumbar areas. This keeps the risk of injury to a minimum.
- Squats helps keep your knees strong; The bending and stretching of your knees will strengthen your knee muscles and allow more oxygen and blood to flow around the joints, thus helping to keep them strong.
- Squats give you a rounder butt; Oh yes, you get this benefit too (I know I should have started with this). Squats will tone your butt. Performing squats regularly will firm up your buttocks in no time. So if you are not proud of your rear, SQUAT!
- Squats Improve Posture ; Benefits of squats also include improved posture. Squats are a great way not only to improve your posture, but also build better balance. The balance that you need to do them will help to sit, stand and walk tall and straight, just like a beauty queen; and it will also strengthen your back muscles and help to avoid the back pain caused by sitting in a chair for too long.
So What is the proper way to perform a squat?
Squats have long been criticized for being destructive to your knees, but research shows that when done properly, squats actually improve knee stability and strengthen connective tissue.
- Warm up! (do anything to get the blood flowing and your body ready for the exercise)
- Stand with your feet just over shoulder width apart.
- Keep your back in a neutral position, and keep your knees centered over your feet.
- Slowly bend your knees, hips and ankles, lowering until you reach a 90-degree angle.
- Return to starting position – repeat 15-25 times, for 3-4 sets for beginners (do this two or three times a week).
- Breathe in as you lower, breathe out as you return to starting position.
If you have any questions, please leave a comment below and I will get back to you as soon as I can. I would love to have your feedback too, let me know what you think about the post.